Replacing Diplomas and Transcripts after Hurricane Ian

replacing diplomas and transcripts

The last couple of weeks have been truly tragic for some people in the southern United States, specifically in areas of Florida and South Carolins. In the wake of hurricane Ian many people are in the process of rebuilding their homes and lives through hard work and determination. There are many things that need to be considered throughout the process of recovering from a flood, but replacing diplomas and transcripts that have water damage is one important step. 

In this article we will discuss the options for document restoration as well as options available for replacing diplomas and transcripts so that you can pick the best option for your circumstances.

What If You Lose All Your Documents in a Flood?

It can be devastating to lose all your important documents in a flood. While furnishings and electronics are often easily replaced, documents can be irreplaceable. Most businesses store their important documents on-site and if they are damaged by water, this can have disastrous effects on their business. Here are some steps to help you salvage your documents from a flood.

First, make a list of documents that you need to replace. Next, contact the agencies or services that provided you with these documents. Fortunately, most federal and state agencies are prepared to help in this situation. If you don’t know who to contact, there are resources on the internet that can help you replace your lost documents.

Regardless of your insurance policy, it’s important to document damage to your property. Your insurance adjuster will want to see pictures of the water-damaged area and any structural damage. Also, make a list of damaged items. Include the value of these items, as well as any receipts. If you’re not able to salvage any of these items, you should get them disposed of by officials.

Documents in digital format can be stored digitally on an external hard drive. However, these may not survive the disaster. If you’re unable to locate these items, you may have to rent or buy additional equipment. You may need to get a wet/dry shop vacuum to remove standing water. You may also want to contact your local emergency management organization for instructions on disinfecting wells and cisterns.

Can You Restore a Water Damaged Diploma?

If you’ve lost your diploma due to a water damage incident, you might be wondering, “Can you restore a water-damaged diploma?” Luckily, there are many options available to you. While the restoration process is not cheap, you can get your diploma back to its original condition with the help of a conservator. These specialists specialize in the preservation and restoration of historic documents and fine art.

You may consider using a humidifier to perform some minimal restoration on your own. The purpose of a humidifier is to add moisture to the document that is damaged, but this method is risky, as it will create mold if the paper is left in high humidity for an extended period of time. Therefore, you should hire a conservator if your diploma is on parchment. You can find one on the American Institute of Conservation’s Find a Conservator page.

Depending on the extent of water damage, water-damaged diplomas may require complex conservation treatments. These include removing tape, washing and humidifying to reduce staining. In addition, the documents may need to be flattened and reframed. Some diplomas also require specific cleaning to prevent mold and mildew from forming.

Maybe replacing diplomas and transcripts is the better choice

You may decide that the cost and effort required to refurbish your original documents is prohibitive. In the event that you choose to replace your damaged documents there are a couple of ways you can go about it. 

If your diploma has been damaged beyond repair, you can ask your school for a copy. Some schools will not be able to do it, but others can. You can also ask your local department of education or the National Center for Education Statistics for the list of private schools. In most cases, you’ll need to provide some basic information, including where you attended high school.

Your state Department of Education can also help you find your high school diplomas. They have a database of all students’ records and should be able to provide you with the documents you need. However, you’ll need to pay a small processing fee to request your diploma.

Alternatively, you can go about replacing diplomas and transcripts through a reputable company like ValidGrad. At one convenient site, you could order replacement diplomas for all levels of education as well as transcripts to match, without the hassle of tracking down multiple schools and performing the same process over and over.

It is always important to retain your educational documents, but in the event of a tragedy (like a flood or fire), replacing your degrees shouldn’t have to be difficult or expensive. If you are a victim of the recent hurricane, please feel free to reach out to our customer service for advice on how best to replace your diplomas. Good luck with your recovery process from all of us here at ValidGrad.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *